[NBLUG/talk] Distributing OpenOffice to schools

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 11 18:19:00 PDT 2003

Lincoln

>From: Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net>
>To: talk at nblug.org
>Subject: Re: [NBLUG/talk] Distributing OpenOffice to schools
>Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:23:12 -0700
>
>On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 04:27:12PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> > The OpenOffice.org team has announced to Schoolforge that it intends to
> > launch an education campaign in October (when OpenOffice 1.1 is
>released)
> > and put as many copies of OpenOffice in the hands of students and
>teachers
> > as possible.
>
>Feh!  What for?  It's not like they can't get Microsoft Office for free!
>Err.. uhh... cheap?  I mean, it's only a one-time cost?  Oh wait...
>Licensing 6.0.  D'OH!

Even so, of course, if they make the switch, they will *never* have to pay
for upgrades.  I'm sure that anyone could understand the financial benefits
of open-source if they paid attention.

>:^)
>

> > Is anyone here interested in burning and distributing OpenOffice CD's to
> > public schools?  At some time in the near future, they will release an
>ISO
> > with OpenOffice 1.1 that supports Windows auto-run, so if you are
> > interested, you should not start burning CD's just yet.
>
>Paul Miller of LUGOD (and other LUGs up near Sac) happens to be the local
>OpenOffice.org outreach guy.  He might be able to help get his hands on
>some
>for you.

I already have the equipment to burn CD's, though Ian indicated that the
more CD's we could burn and distribute, the better.  I also have DSL, so
it's not hard for me to get the ISO.  The only problem right now is that, as
I said, the ISO's haven't yet been published.

If the ISO is released prior to the InstallFest, I could bring copies for
anyone who has a CD burner but a slow Internet connection.

>LUGOD and/or members of LUGOD might be willing to help burn discs, too.
>(We've done it in the past; most recently, it has mostly been Knoppixes for
>some of our exhibitions at expos and conferences; Gov't Tech Conf in Sac
>back in May comes to mind.)

Sounds good.  If you pass the word along, I can let him know that we're
covering the Davis area, as well as the North Bay.

> > I have several contacts in the Cotati-Rohnert Park school district, and
> > have a few contacts in the Petaluma school district that I might be able
> > utilize.  What other parts of the North Bay would people be able to
> > distribute to?
>
>Hehe... Get them to run Tux Paint while you're at it ;^)
>
>   http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/tuxpaint/

Do you know if Tux Paint is going to be on the next release of freeduc-cd?
If so, it shouldn't be too hard to distribute both CD's at the same time.

>In fact, much of the stuff out there on the GNU Win II collection would
>be good, as well:
>
>   http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/

Another CD worth distributing?  Well, as long as we don't overwhelm anyone
with all of these offerings.  There's always November...

> > This project is being coordinated by "ian" (ian.lynch2 at ntlworld.com), an
> > OpenOffice.org developer.  There does not appear to be any information
>on
> > the OppenOffice.org website yet, but I can provide information (and
>URL's)
> > as soon as I receive it.
>
>It's great to see this being put together.  If you'd like, I'd be more than
>happy to pass this on to other LUGs in Northern California
>(LUGOD, SacLUG, RoseLUG, BALUG, SVLUG, PenLUG, CVALE, CSLUG, EBLUG, etc.
>etc.
>etc... I'm subscribed to many of these LUGs' mailing lists)

That would be great.  I should probably subscribe to some of those lists
myself, if for no other reason to keep track of who's doing what with this
OpenOffice project.

Are there any other LUG's in Northern California I should know about?