[NBLUG/talk] Distributing OpenOffice to schools

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Aug 11 19:57:00 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 07:53:54PM -0700, Todd Cary wrote:
> Lincoln -
>
> My local Rotary club, Petaluma Valley Rotary Club, each year gives out a
> dictionary to every third grader in the Petaluma school districts (over
> 4,000 have been given out so far).  A project of this type would
> certainly be of interest if it could be part of something with a little
> more scope e.g. providing refurbished computers with Linux that could be
> used for Internet access.

This sounds cool.  Of course, getting everyone switched to Open Source,
regardless as to whether we get them hooked on _Linux_ quite yet, is
a great starting point, I think.

In other words, get those 3rd graders using OpenOffice.org and other
cool Open Source stuff, even if it's still on their Windows boxen...

That, obviously, makes the full switch to an Open Source OS like Linux
much easier >:^)

-bill!

--
bill at newbreedsoftware.com                           Got kids?  Get Tux Paint!