[NBLUG/talk] Distributing OpenOffice to schools

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Tue Aug 12 18:07:00 PDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 02:43:18PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
} On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 02:33:53PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
} > It might be possible to set up a computer with a minimal window manager such
} >
} > as fvwm or any of the other lightweights that have been mentioned, and have
} > OpenOffice start up immediately.  It would also be possible to cause the
} > user to log out as soon as OpenOffice closes, but I don't think I'd want to
} > go *that* far.
}
} I think I've also heard of a version of OpenOffice.org which is
} 'prelinked,' which means it comes up quite a bit faster.  (Still dog slow,
} but not AS dog slow ;^) )
}
} What it does is kind of 'get around' the whole class name mangling
} (or whatever it is) that has to happen when a C++ app first starts up.

I installed the windows version of OpenOffice 1.1 and it does this.
Is there a linux version that works that way?

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com