[NBLUG/talk] The Linux "invisible" files

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sun Aug 17 22:41:00 PDT 2003

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 06:20:01PM -0700, Todd Cary wrote:
> When I create a directory within the "home" directory that gets used by
> Samba and FTP, there are quite a few "." files or Linux "invisible"
> files.  Is there documentation on the meaning of each of these?
>
> Also, when I go to a site managed by an ISP, I again notice quite a few
> "." dot files.  Is there a standard applied here?

I wish there were :)  Legacy applications have kind of kept these a
necessity, and people seem to put with them.

Depending on the file (or directory), the dot-files could be different
things, and used by different applications (or sets of them).

For example, your ".newsrc" file is used by various newsreaders.

Gotta run,

-bill!