[NBLUG/talk] Wildcard Asterisk GnoPhone

error error at sonic.net
Mon Aug 18 08:30:03 PDT 2003

So as a frequent traveler, I want a phone that is world wide, that I
control, no limits on voicemail, that I don't have to carry, is calling
from the US no matter where, doesn't have roaming charges. So this
points me to Asterisk.

My plan is something like this:

I have desktop machine and I install a Wildcard X100P[1].
Then I have this box running some sort of VPN software (like IP Sec or
PPP over SSHv2).
The same box with the Wildcard will run Asterisk for all my pbx needs.

Entire eris, my laptop.

I go to wifi network "linksys" (the foobar of wifi!) and fire up my vpn.
Then I fire up gnophone[2] and connect to my pbx server.

So my questions:
How well does it work to call out from my laptop (assume full duplex OSS
sound card) with a headset?

Then, how hard would it be to toss in another phone (does cisco have a
cheap 802.11b phone?) and as long as only one dials at once (or calls
each other) be able to call out to the world at large?

What do YOU think of this idea to have my own small traveling phone
station? Does it seem feasible?

It seems that this might only cost $100 (once, no other fees), that
seems like a really awesome way to make phone calls around the world
from the world...

Comments?

[1]( http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=wildcard_x100p )
[2] Or perhaps (http://iaxclient.sourceforge.net/) because gnophone
seems to not compile and even the deb isn't working.

--
error <error at sonic.net>