[NBLUG/talk] migrate server to new box

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Tue Aug 19 17:24:00 PDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 04:47:33PM -0700, Doug Palmer wrote:
> I have a new server box and I want to migrate everything* from the old
> box. At the same time I also want to change from RH 8.0 to RH 9. Should
> I consider re-installing the apps and just copying the data, or is there
> a smooth way to copy both apps and data? What about issues with RedHat?
> Any major changes to init scripts or such?
>
> *server is used for the following:
> CVS,
> TWiki,
> Apache,
> SMB,
> VNC

I'd copy the contents of one HD to the other (plug both hard drives in and
use cp -a (or tar cvf - | tar xvf -) or set up the new drives on a new
machine with a very basic install and do rsync or scp ...) and then upgrade
the new hardware to RH9.  If you screw up the new box you've still got an
untouched old box.  Kudzu will help a lot if you want to boot up the RH8
install before upgrading to RH9.

If you're confident in your ability to copy the data and know where
everything you've worked on is, you can probably just do a fresh RH9 install
and copy some data over.  When you say "VNC", I start thinking "collection
of all sorts of apps, contents of home directories, etc."

Either way works.  Personally, I've done both -- it depends how much stuff
is really going on.  A linux install is quite portable from machine to
machine.

Disclaimer: I've never done a machine to machine with RH8 or 9.  RH7 and
earlier and Debian is what I've done.
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & President Pro Tempore