[NBLUG/talk] Samba/SWAT setup problems

ShadowEyez shadoweyez at hotpop.com
Thu Aug 21 15:37:00 PDT 2003

Running Red Hat 8 on 2.4.18-14 and downloaded the newest Samba release version 2.2.8a and set up the install (./configure, make, make install).  Then I copied the smb.conf file into the /usr/local/samba/lib directory, started up the smbd and nmbd daemons using the -D option.  I added the swat 901/tcp to the /etc/services file and because RH uses xinetd I made a /etc/xinetd.d/swat "service" file like this:

service swat
{
port = 901
socket_type = stream
wait = no
only_from = 127.0.0.1
user = root
server = /usr/local/samba/bin/swat
log_on_failure += USERID
}

I also added the word "swat" to the /etc/xinetd.d file so that the machine knows its a service and chmoded the /usr/local/samba/swat directory as 755.  Did all this setup as root and when I go into X and use either Konquer or Mozilla and goto localhost:901 I get the username/password prompt, but nothing I type in ever gets to the page.  I type in username root and then my password and I get a 401 bad password error.  Anything I type in gets me a 401 bad password error page.  Help!!!  Is there some way I can change the configuration to get to the main SWAT page or is there a new user name/password that I'm not getting?

When I set up samba in Linux sysadmin class (RH 7.2, 2.2.18 kernel) this was never a problem?  Any one good with samba that has ever run into this.

TIA
David "ShadowEyez"
shadoweyez at hotpop.com