[NBLUG/talk] kernel compile; build here, install there?

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Sat Aug 30 09:26:01 PDT 2003

1.  Download kernel source to desktop.
2.  cd to /usr/src/linux
3. make *config(your choice)
4. make dep .... blah blah make modules; make modules install.
5. grab the kernel bzImage and System.map-augie, tar up the
/lib/modules/2.4.20-augie directory with the modules.
6. Install the augie kernel and System.map on the laptop in /boot, UNtar the
modules in /lib/modules.
7. configure boot loader add stanza for new kernel
8. reboot and pray.

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer