[NBLUG/talk] IBM Terminal keyboard in Linux?

Kyle Rankin greenfly at greenfly.net
Sat Aug 30 23:24:01 PDT 2003

I came across a kinda cool keyboard this weekend, and I'm wondering what
kind of Linux support (well really PS/2 motherboard support) I might be
able to expect, or at least maybe some tips.

The keyboard is an IBM 1394100 122 key terminal keyboard and looks
identical to this:

http://store.yahoo.com/pckeyboards/122keyterkey.html

It has this connector on the back that resembles an RJ45 with 8 pins.  I
managed to find the pinout for it here:

http://www.mort.level5.net/johnr/howto/3151key.txt

It seems that there are corresponding pins for PS/2 keyboards:

http://panda.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/%7Eachapwes/PICmicro/PS2/ps2.htm

I'm just not totally sure, once I wire up the adapter, what kind of signals
it will throw across the wire.  Does anyone here have any experience with
these kind of keyboards, and if so, is getting this to work under Linux
possible?

--
Kyle Rankin (greenfly)
http://greenfly.org