[NBLUG/talk] recommendation for boot magic

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Thu Dec 4 09:51:02 PST 2003

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 09:27:19AM -0800, Kevin Dwan wrote:
> BootMagic is now part of the $70 PartitionMagic from PowerQuest. I want to
> be running NT, XP, and Fedora on the same machine, and don't know how
> necessary something like BootMagic really is.
>
> Any recommendations? I just want to be able to switch between environments
> as conveniently as possible.

With NT's boot loader and lilo and grub on linux, you don't really need
something like bootmagic to handle your dual/triple booting.  You can
either set up lilo or grub on the beginning of your linux partition, and
then manage all three with the NT boot loader (the third entry telling it
to boot linux off of the partition you specified), or you can manage it all
with Grub or lilo.  Really it is just up to you.  I would go with managing
it in whatever environment you find yourself in most often.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President
kyle at nblug.org