[NBLUG/talk] rsync problem

Robert Hayes rhayes at silcom.com
Thu Dec 4 10:50:04 PST 2003

I'm having a problem with rsync between my laptop and desktop.

I want to be able to replicate my desktop /home dir on my laptop.

When I run:

bob at laptop$: rsync -v --progress rsync://bob@192.168.1.xxx/bob/file.txt
on the laptop it asks for a password. I enter the password.

It responds:

-rw-r--r--   29585 2003/12/03 16:15:00 file.txt
wrote 114 bytes  read 108 bytes  88.80 bytes/sec
total size is 29585  speedup is 133.27
bob at laptop$

But I  can't find the file anywhere. The file did not pre-exist on the laptop.
Am I missing something?

My rsyncd.conf file looks like this:
---------
max connections = 2
log file = /var/log/rsync.log
timeout = 300

[bob]
        comment = This is my first rsync setup...
        path = /home/bob
        read only = no
        list = yes
        uid = bob
        gid = bob
        auth users = bob
        secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets
The rsyncd.secrets file just contains one line comprised of the the username
and password.

TIA,
...bob