[NBLUG/talk] CD/DVD question

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Sat Dec 6 11:54:00 PST 2003

The latest Linux Journal did a piece on creating a video DVD slideshow
complete with background music and using closed captioning for the slide
captions from standard JPEGs from a digital camera.

I got really excited about it and started working on it, but I ran into
several snags.  The first is the author used jpg2yuv to convert the JPEG
files (one frame) to actual motion video (about 150 frames, 29.97 fps @
5 sec).  I could never get the program to work, so I looked at the man
page, and it says that people shouldn't be using this program, that it's
only for testing purposes.

Currently, I have a directory of nearly 30 MPEG-2 files which I catted
together to get a nice slideshow, but the music background isn't quite
working.  I haven't even gone into menus or subtitles yet.

As far as DVD writing, I've looked into this a little.  I have access to
a Sony DRX-510 (I think that's the model) external (USB2/FireWire) DVD
writer and how it could work under Linux.  I don't really care at this
point about UDF or packet-writing (being able to use a DVD-/+RW like a
hard drive), but only a mkisofs and a cdrecord.  The filesystem
generates just fine from mkisofs, but the cdrecord author did not
release the source for a cdrecord.dvd.  I believe it's free as in beer,
but not freedom.

In my scattered searching, I ran across dvdrtools, which provides a
dvdrecord binary for recording data on a dvd.  Another program
frequently mentioned is growisofs.  It seems to be a mkisofs
replacement, but I'm not too clear about the differences.  I have a
little more reading to do!

I hope that's a start for someone. :)

Jeremy

--