[NBLUG/talk] mobile mouse question

Jim Bianchi jimbo at sonic.net
Sun Dec 7 18:49:00 PST 2003

	Steve: I've a Dell Latitude C600 laptop that has a 20g HD on which
I've installed RH 8. I have one of those small traveler type Logitech USB
optical mice that has a PS/2 adaptor on it. It was 'picked up' at install
time. Then a friend pointed out that using the USB plug without the PS/2
adaptor would mean fewer hassles with the PS/2 plug falling out of its
socket, so I just rebooted it -- after plugging the mouse into the USB
port. The RH boot process has the ability to detect changes in hardware
and if any are found, to modify the config files such that the changes are
handled properly.

 	Whichever one (USB or PS/2)  I've used is picked up at boot time
by the RH boot process (kudzu?) and if it has changed since the last boot,
I'm prompted for what to do. I can chose to reconfig for the new device,
or keep the old configuration. Natch, I reconfig for the new device, and
if I change back, the next boot will pick it up and I'll change it again.
This process is entirely automatic. When asked, I'll select 'generic USB
three button' or 'generic PS/2 three button.' It's always worked for me.

	I tend to rest the heel of my hand on the built in touchpad, so
I've disabled it -- my only mouse is the USB (or sometimes the PS/2). I
use X-windows and gpm and have never had any problems with either config.

	Since my digital camera uses a USB port to mount and I only have
one USB port, I gotta keep the PS/2 thingy around, but most times my mouse
will be set up as a USB device.

--
jimbo at sonic.net       Jim Bianchi   Santa Rosa   California

Remember Flight 93 -- "Let's roll!"