[NBLUG/talk] nblug newbie here, distro+applic. query...

sms at sonic.net sms at sonic.net
Mon Dec 8 15:30:04 PST 2003

> > I'm planning on getting XP Pro & multibooting that
> > (for the few Windows apps I can't replace)
>
> What apps are those? Maybe we can help.

Educational/edutainment (3 kids in the house) + Quicken.
I know that there are some Linux app's in the personal &
home-finance sector, but AFAIK none are NEARLY so polished
as Intuit's.  And, of course, nobody offers kids' stuff
like the mass-media leader... :/

[ UPDATE:  XP Pro looks like it'll co$t more than I expected;
I'm told that it's notably more stable & secure than XP Home,
but I dunno that it's worth THAT much to me, since I expect
to boot Linux approx. 95% of the time... but getting XP Pro
pre-loaded looks like I'd have to spend MUCH more on h/w than
I was planning to.]

> > Can anyone tell me how I could get a pre-burned CD with Sarge
> > (& GRUB, I hope)?
>
> Ask someone on this list to bring them to the next meeting, and then
> come to the next meeting; probably with a couple bucks to offset the
> cost of this generous person giving you these discs.

Heh.  That'd be... uh... tomorrow nite?

<grins> OK:  "would 'someone on this list' be able bring CD's with
an installable burn of Debian-testing (iirc, that's 'Sarge') + 'GRUB'?
Ummm... & I guess I'd need some sort of partitioner, too...

I am indeed hoping to be there.

In the end, I may wind up buying a retail-packaged Linux (SuSE or
Redhat) from CompUSA/etc.

- Steve S.