[NBLUG/talk] hardware or software error

Bob Blick bobblick at covad.net
Thu Dec 11 15:23:00 PST 2003

I'm having trouble on a computer, every few minutes certain things stop
for 5 seconds. Specifically, anything that needs the hard drive has to
wait.

/var/log/messages shows lines that correspond to it, like this:

Dec 11 14:59:23 ctc kernel: hda: lost interrupt

Each time it does this thing, it puts a line like that in the log. The
machine is a fairly conventional old Pentium 2, 300MHz, 192MB ram, Tyan
motherboard, 8MB ATI AGP video, SB16 ISA audio, tulip PCI network card,
40GB Maxtor hard drive. CDROM drive is on the secondary cable.

However, it's fairly new to me, and has done it since I put it in use.
It's running kernel 2.4.20

This problem sometimes happens twice in a minute, sometimes only once in
15 minutes. The hard drive doesn't make any bad sounds or act bad in any
way.

Any suggestions where I should look? I am thinking the first thing to do
is play around with PCI settings in the bios.

Thanks,

Bob