[NBLUG/talk] RT - fastcgi or modperl

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Sat Dec 13 13:40:04 PST 2003

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 01:07:35PM -0800, Scott Doty wrote:
> In other words, if I create a program for mod_perl as "scott", can Apache
> be coerced to run that code as "scott"?

No, not with mod_perl.  Mod_perl is running inside the apache process, which
is already user "apache" or "httpd" or "nobody" and has no way to switch to
becoming "scott", and even if it could *somehow* temporarily switch to
"scott" and then back, it'd probably be either a terrible idea or still
involve fork overhead for every hit.

It is, however, possible with fastcgi.  You'd have to configure it
explicitely in the httpd config for each new persistent process that's being
set up, of course.
http://www.fastcgi.com/mod_fastcgi/docs/mod_fastcgi.html#FastCgiWrapper

Heck, looks like there's even hooks so you could make it so "scott"'s
application only works when he's not behind on his bills.  (look at the rest
of that page)
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Director-At-Large