[NBLUG/talk] Setting up kernel 2.6

ShadowEyez shadoweyez at hotpop.com
Thu Dec 18 16:56:01 PST 2003

Running RH 8 on 2.4.18-14, with gcc 3.2

I just got the new 2.6 kernel, untarred it in /usr/src/linux-2.6.0/ and started X. I opened the terminal window, and when I ran 'make xconfig' I got an error message saying that I don't have the QT package installed. I did some reading and got the QT package at trolltech.com, the makers of QT, the GUI install program. I'm installing this from source right now (I don't really like RPM's, I like the control of installing from source) It is compiling as I type this (taking its sweet time) but if this doesn't work then do I have to use 'make gconfig' or one of the text ones (menu config or config)?

Has anyone else run into this? I have compiled and used the 2.4.21 kernel on this box, and 'make xconfig' works with this kernel, but do to some probs I had with it, went back to 2.4.18-14. Any one else run into this with 2.6? Then I looked in the Makefile in /usr/src/linux-2.6.0 and found there was no directive (GOTO statement) to xconfig like there was in the Makefile for 2.4.21. Guess they decided to dump QT's xconfig support.

2.6 seems a different beast than 2.4's. There is no more 'make dep' command at the start of the "compile phase" and no xconfig! (xconfig is better than gconfig IMHO). Also the make bzImage output seems a bit different on 2.6 as it is compiling.  What are your experiences with 2.6? Anyone get a sucessful boot?