[NBLUG/talk] USB Memory Keys

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Sun Dec 21 22:51:01 PST 2003

Hi all,

I got a Lexar USB JumpDrive 2.0 for Christmas (okay, so we celebrated a
little early this year), and with 2.6.0 and 2.4.22 it works just fine
with the usb-storage driver and SCSI emulation.  Very nice.

Okay, so here's my issue.  I now have three USB devices which use SCSI
emulation (my Nikon Coolpix 4300 digital camera, the JumpDrive, and a
Compact Flash reader).  How do I deal with multiple devices using
/dev/sdX and plugged in at different times?  For example:

----- /etc/fstab ----- (relevant portion)
/dev/sda1 /mnt/cf        vfat uid=jeremy,gid=jeremy,user 0 2
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/jumpdrive vfat uid=jeremy,gid=jeremy,user 0 2
----- end /etc/fstab -----

If I unplug the CF reader and the JumpDrive, and replugin the JumpDrive
only, it gets registered as /dev/sda1.  The /etc/fstab manpage mentions
labling an entry by LABEL='' or UUID='', but I can't seem to find a
LABEL or UUID entry mentioned in the syslog.

What I'd like to do is write a hotplug script to auto-mount the drive
for me, but it doesn't seem like hotplug passes the right environment
variables for me to figure out which sdX the device got!

Anyone else ran into this problem before?

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Turner <jeremy at linuxwebguy.com>
The LinuxWebGuy