IP aliases, effect on security?

Daniel Smith linux2002 at daniel.org
Tue Feb 11 20:08:41 PST 2003

Greetings,

I'm setting up a server at home, to soon swap
with a Cobalt I have @ Sonic.  It's running Debian w/2.4.18-bf2.4

I'm adding a couple of IP aliases: eth0:1, eth0:2, etc.
I am thinking that I will rerun Bastille, in order
to write the firewall rules for additional IP addresses
(and yep, I run interactive mode)

In general, what security concerns are directly related
to the use of IP aliasing?  Am I pretty much just mirroring
firewall rules for a new IP address, or is there a lot
more to consider?  The server will only be accepting
ssh and http/s inbound...

Free beers in exchange for any enlightenment here :-)

--
Daniel L. Smith - Sonoma County, CA - AIM: SonomaDaniel
Resume: http://resume.daniel.org