IP aliases, effect on security?

Daniel Smith linux2002 at daniel.org
Wed Feb 12 00:27:12 PST 2003

>  >
>>  In general, what security concerns are directly related
>>  to the use of IP aliasing?
>
>It depends on how it is used. If you bind IP addresses from the same
>exposed subnet, then the increased exposure is limited:

[lots of good info - I wanted to at least follow up now,
as I may be offline quite a bit until friday]

Thanks Mr. Egan!

It's just a 1U Pengiun Computing Relion, running a few IP addresses
- yep, they will be from the same Class C range.
I'll only use 1 ethernet controller, although it has two.
I have a few domains to hit off of Apache (VirtualServer).
Nothing will be hanging off of the box (i.e. it's a dead-end, no need
to route anything).  Just need http/s and ssh.

Come to think of it, there's no reason to have SSH exposed to
more than one IP.

Perhaps another way to approach the question is: what other
method is worth considering for hosting a few web sites (different
domains, all standard port 80) off of one box?

Daniel

--
Daniel L. Smith - Sonoma County, CA - AIM: SonomaDaniel