[NBLUG/talk] New subscriber to the list!

Todd Cary todd at aristesoftware.com
Sun Jul 6 06:18:00 PDT 2003

ME wrote:

> [...]
>interbase files as part of the command issued above.
>
>Step 6: "build"
>Once you have the ./configure command from the php source directory
>finishing without error, you can build it:
>
># make
>
>Step 7: install
>
>Once "make" builds a new copy of php for you without error, you can
>install it:
># make install
>
>Step 8: configure your web server
>The INSTALL file from the php dir should cover this.
>
>The apache config file may need to be altered to specify what modules
>(including mod_php) should be included and what directories should be
>permitted to parse php files.
>
>Step 9: restart apache and test
>The new modules wont be used unless apache is restarted or told to re-read
>its config file and reload modules. Asking apache to restart is probably
>safer.
>
># apachectl stop
># apachectl start
>

>>In the system I put together 3 years ago, I was able to integrate it:
>>http://209.204.172.137:8080/testphp.php
>>

>This is the same URL as above, and shows the PHP was built this year. This
>one also does not list interbase support as being included. :-/
>
>Is there a different URL that points to the machine built 3 years ago?
>

>>In spite of the negative reports I have read about Apache 2, I would
>>like to try and use the issued RH 9 setup with just the addition of
>>Interbase (which I have installed) in PHP.
>>

>We have some users who have used Apache 2, they might have ideas for this.
>

>>Maybe I am asking for something that is not possible.  However, isn't
>>there some script that is part of my RH 9 that tells PHP what to include
>>during the setup?
>>

>As I understand it, support for inerbase in php must be chosen before php
>is built. The pre-built copy of php that you are using does not have
>support for interbase. If there are no other pre-packaged php for RedHat 9
>that come prebuilt with interbase, it looks like you may have to build
>your own.
>
>The check you included to see if your copy of php had this support was a
>good one. If your installed php had such support, you would not need to
>build anything more.
>

>>Sorry for these questions, but as I have said, this is a world that
>>speaks a different language (and I think it is quite a bit simpiler than
>>the Windows environment - just have to learn it).
>>

>Yep, but there is a difference; what you learn in the linux world is
>almost entirely applied to future generations of Linux use, while in the
>windows world, the items you memorize are often lost in future versions as
>names of options and locations on where they are configured will change.
>
>The Advanced Windows user is a database of memorized facts
>
>The Advanced Linux user has learned how to configure things and spends
>time learning "how" instead of memorizing facts.

Mike -

<<<
Do you have any experience configuring, compiling and building things?

About three years ago, someone with your knowledge and patience (as well
as the others on this List) sent me what you have provided, but I did
not keep it after getting my current system up and running (sorry about
not taking the "8080" out of the URL above - here is my online PHP:

http://209.204.172.137/testphp.php vs. my new, yet to be configured server http://209.204.172.137:8080/testphp.php )

<<<
When you install a package (like the RedHat php package) you are
installing a copy of php that was "configured and built" by someone else

This is an area that you have clarified for me.  I was hoping (not knowing exactly how the Linux install works with RPM's) that the install "built" the PHP/Apache and that I would not have to create that long list of "with's".  Also, I wanted to be able to utilize Red Hat's update facility that automatically installs bug fixes.

You have provided all of the information I should need to get a proper version of PHP/Apache up and running.

There are a few more questions, however I am going to start another thread since they are on a slightly different topic.

Again, many thanks.....

Todd

[Footnote] My current system does not have the "gd" library but I was/am so concerned about taking the whole system down if I tried to rebuild PHP that I created a current Web site for my client using my system for everything BUT the graphics and then moving it to their NT based PHP for the rest - no problem adding the "gd" library in the INI file :-) ]