[NBLUG/talk] Good Linux book?

Todd Cary todd at aristesoftware.com
Sun Jul 6 06:35:01 PDT 2003

With the plethora of books available, I am still finding it hard to
obtain the "right book for me" and suggestions are welcomed.  Here are
the books I do have:

"Linux in a Nutshell" by O'Reilly.  I find it a good reference book if
one already knows the commands.

"Linux for Dummies".  Some good stuff, but overall, too basic.

"Linux Complete, Second edition".  Very good book for me since it is
written from the Windows perspective.

My primary language is Delphi (and I want to start doing some things
witih Kylix) with some "C" and "C++" experience; all in the Windows
environment (and yes, some in the CP/M environment :-) ).  When I was
maintaining the 800 number lookup system at MCI, I learned Perl since my
platform was SCO Unix.  "Make" files I understand, but "configure" and
"apx" files are new for me.  Also, the term "DSO" and "SO" are new.

So, I need a book to help fill in the gap.  Maybe I just need to dive in
and write some simple "C" programs or get a Kylix book with the
assumption that many of these areas will be covered out of necessity.

Suggestions?

Todd