[NBLUG/talk] CD problem (SuSE)

ME dugan at passwall.com
Sun Jul 6 16:18:00 PDT 2003

Cal Herrmann said:
> I have put SuSE 8.2 in, as usual I have a little problem beyond me!
> I have a CD, a CDrecorder (zip brand), and a zip drive: the CDrecorder
> connection works, but the others seem to have a-or-more problem.
> fstab says:
> /dev/hdb4   /media/zip    auto    noauto,user
> /dev/cdrecorder  /media/cdrecorder   auto   ro,noauto,user,exec
> /dev/cdrom   /media/cdrom    /auto   ro,noauto,user,exec

this seems wrong to me         ^^^^^
The filesystem should not be "/auto" could be a typo though...
I suggest investigating that first.

Could you report what this shows:
# ls -l /dev/cdrecorder
# ls -l /dev/cdrom

(I see what you ave below, but it is not clear what the links are pointing
to. I *think* you have /dev/cdrom -> hdb but would like to have this
verified as well as what cdrecord is pointing to.)

Also could you do this:
# dmesg > /tmp/dmesg.nblug.txt
If the file is less than 10k, attach it to your reply to this list.

If it is more than 10K send it to me in a personal e-mail message.

> properties (right-click on the icon) say:    device    mount
> cdrom  /tmp/kde-cal/Desktop-0            /dev/cdrom  /media/zip
> zip     ditto                            /dev/hdb4   /media/zip
> cdR     ditto                       /dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder
> left-click on the zip icon (a disk is in) gives: mount /dev/hdb4: unknown
> device.  Same if I mount /dev/hdb4, as root.
> Yast2 says:         link             mount
> CD     /dev/hdb    /dev/cdrom      /media/cdrom
> iomega(CDR) /dev/Si0 /dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder
>
> and finds the zip is /dev/hdd, the CD is /dev/hdb
>
> ls -l /dev/cdrom gives:
> 	lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3(date-) /dev/cdrom >hdb
> " /dev/hdb brw---- 1 cal  disk  "       /dev/hdb
> " /dev/hdb4 brw-rw-1 root disk  "       /dev/hdb4
> " /dev/hdd brw---  1 root disk  "       /dev/hdd
>
> I also looked, in Yast, at IDE DMA setup;
> the CD mode is off, is /dev/hdb,
> the zip mode also off, is /dev/hdd.
>
> What should give me a clue?
> Thanks, Cal

It looks like fstab and/or drive config/settings are confused. Once I can
see your bootlog (output of dmesg after a boot) we might be able to better
diagnose this.

I expect the following:
/dev/hda (hard drive)
/dev/hdb ?
/dev/hdc ?
/dev/hdd ?
where each of the "?" should be a different device (ZIP, CDROM, CDRecord)
assuming they are all IDE/EIDE/ATA.

That information should be available from your boot info, and then the
links in /dev/ can be modified to point to what they should and any
explicit references to a dev can be convinced to point to the proper dev.

-ME