[NBLUG/talk] CD problem (SuSE)

ME dugan at passwall.com
Mon Jul 7 18:54:00 PDT 2003

Cal Herrmann said:
> On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, ME wrote:
>
>> Cal Herrmann said:
>> > I have put SuSE 8.2 in, as usual I have a little problem beyond me!
>> > I have a CD, a CDrecorder (zip brand), and a zip drive: the CDrecorder
>> > connection works, but the others seem to have a-or-more problem.
>> > fstab says:
>> > /dev/hdb4   /media/zip    auto    noauto,user

change /etc/fstab above entry to this:
/dev/hdd4   /media/zip    auto    noauto,user

>> > /dev/cdrecorder  /media/cdrecorder   auto   ro,noauto,user,exec

For testing, change above in /etc/fstab to this:
/dev/hdc  /media/cdrecorder   auto   ro,noauto,user,exec

>> > /dev/cdrom   /media/cdrom    /auto   ro,noauto,user,exec

Based on  your reported symlink, this one (above) should be fine.

See if making the above changes permits your Zip drive and ZIPCD to work.
(Only need to check ZIPCD for reading disks.)

I'd like to hear what drives work and what drives do not work after the
above.

(More information below, but the above is enough to change without
testing. Let's see what we get for functioning drives now.)

> Sorry, my typo, hand-copying
>> this seems wrong to me         ^^^^^
>>
>> Could you report what this shows:
>> # ls -l /dev/cdrecorder
> The one that works!
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  3 2003-04-26 03:15 /dev/cdrecorder -> sr0
>> # ls -l /dev/cdrom
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root    3 2003-04-26 03:15 /dev/cdrom -> hdb

Excellent. Thanks!

>> Also could you do this:
>> # dmesg > /tmp/dmesg.nblug.txt
>> If the file is less than 10k, attach it to your reply to this list.
>> If it is more than 10K send it to me in a personal e-mail message.
>
> Maybe some bits will help, before I try to send the 328 lines!
> VP_IDE: VIA vt82c686b (rev 40) IDE UDMA100 controller on pci00:07.1
>     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd000-0xd007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
>     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xd008-0xd00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
> hda: Maxtor 92048U8, ATA DISK drive

hda is your hard disk.

> hdb: ATAPI 50X CDROM, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

hdb is your CD-ROM

> blk: queue c03caa40, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
> hdc: ZIPCD 4x650, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

hdc is your ZIPCD

> hdd: IOMEGA ZIP 750 ATAPI, ATAPI FLOPPY drive

hdd is your IOMega Zip 750

> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
> hda: attached ide-disk driver.
> hda: host protected area => 1
> ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide
> hdd: attached ide-floppy driver.
> hdd: 735250kB, 1470500 blocks, 512 sector size
> hdd: 735232kB, 718/64/32 CHS, 4096 kBps, 512 sector size, 3676 rpm
> hdd: The disk reports a capacity of 752896000 bytes, but the drive only
> handles  752877568
> Partition check:
>  hda:<6> [PTBL] [2482/255/63] hda1 hda2 hda3
>  hdd: hdd4
> ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide
> SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
> hdd: The disk reports a capacity of 752896000 bytes, but the drive only
> handles  752877568
>  hdd: hdd4
> hdb: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdb: packet command error: error=0x54
> i8253 count too high! resetting..
> i8253 count too high! resetting..
> 	This happens many times! and then the following, for a bunch
> of sectors ...-cal
> end_request: I/O error, dev 03:40 (hdb), sector 66
> lost async page write due to I/O error on 03:40
> hdb: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdb: command error: error=0x54

The above is odd. Let's look at this later. For now, was there a disk in
the drive when you booted last time? Do these messages come up when you
boot with a different disk in the drive? First hunch says it is the CD or
lack of CD in the drive.

> These Properties, below, come from files in /tmp/kde-cal/Desktop-0, which
> lists both the CDROM and the Zip as mountpoint /media/zip.  Are these
> config files that can be corrected? Or do they read something else??
>  >
>> > properties (right-click on the icon) say:    device    mount
>> > cdrom  /tmp/kde-cal/Desktop-0            /dev/cdrom  /media/zip

You may want to have cdrom use "/media/cdrom" instead of "/media/zip".
I am not sure if KDE keeps track of these things separate from /etc/fstab.

>> > zip     ditto                            /dev/hdb4   /media/zip

change the above "zip" to use the dev "/dev/hdd4" instead of "/dev/hdb4"

>> > cdR     ditto                       /dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder

Just for kicks, try changing this to use "/dev/hdc" instead of
"/dev/cdrecorder". This may prevent writing, but let's make sure we can
use each drive as the kernel states they are referenced.