[NBLUG/talk] VNC Viewer

Mitch Patenaude mrp at sonic.net
Wed Jul 9 10:21:00 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, Jul 9, 2003, at 09:55 US/Pacific, E Frank Ball wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 09:48:16AM -0700, Dave Rohling wrote:
> } Hi all,
> }
> } 	I am using VNC Viewer on my Redhat 9 box, and when I connect to a
> } Windows PC, I can't find the option for CTRL+ALT+DEL like I have on
> the
> } Windows version of VNC Viewer. Any ideas?
>
> If you are trying to get to the windows login box thru vnc it won't
> work, CTRL+ALT+DEL on the windows box kills the vnc session.

I've used VNC to remotely administer windows boxes before.  It's not
the Ctrl-Alt-Del that interrupts the session, it the change in
resolution when the login screen comes up.  If you reconnect
immediately, it will then show you the login screen, and you can log
in, though the subsequent change in resolution may also cause a
disconnection.

I believe that on the linux box you can just use the Ctrl-Alt-Del keys
in some circumstances.... It appears to be intercepted by the window
manager, but I remember a time when it didn't cause a problem on the
linux side, but maybe I'm thinking of the solaris version of the
viewer.  Maybe if you ran the SVGAlib version of the viewer.

   -- Mitch