[NBLUG/talk] HP BIOS Flash

jeff at dreadidread.homelinux.org jeff at dreadidread.homelinux.org
Wed Jul 9 19:35:01 PDT 2003

Hi All,

I have an old HP Vectra P2 that I'm having trouble with. Basically, I can
install an OS, but I can't boot it after the install. I get "L", and that's it.
I'm pretty sure that's an "L" as in Lilo. Anyway, I've installed a very bare
bones RH9.0 on it.

I was talking with a sys admin at work and he said he'd run across an issue
simila r to this and he upgraded the BIOS and that took care of it. I went to HP
land and found the upgrade, an exe for Windows NT.

My question is, is there any way I can upgrade the BIOS without installing
Windows? Is there a comparable BIOS upgrade program written for Linux? I really
don't know much about this, but I don't know what else to do but install
windows, upgrade the bios, and then reinstall redhat? But that doesn't seem right...

Thanks,

Jeff