[NBLUG/talk] OpenSSH2 with public key (no password)

Bob Blick bobblick at covad.net
Fri Jul 11 11:29:01 PDT 2003

E Frank Ball said:

Hi Frank,

Thanks for replying!

> With openssh the file is just ~/.ssh/authorized_keys.  No "2" on the
> end.  ssh2 (not openssh using protocol 2, the real ssh2) used the
> filename with the 2 appended.  If you generate a key pair with no key
> phrase, and this is allowed in the sshd_config file, then it should
> work.  I do this at work for pushing out config file updates to my dozen
> linux boxes.

Did it, still no luck. Private key resides in client machine as
~/.ssh/id_dsa correct?

The sshd_config file would be the one on the client(the machine I create
the key pair with), correct? And is it the line "PermitEmptyPasswords"? It
was set to no, I changed it and tried a "kill -HUP 312"(pid of sshd) and
no difference.

Any other clues, I think I'm getting somewhere!

Thanks,

Bob