[NBLUG/talk] Samba running slow...

Todd Cary todd at aristesoftware.com
Sun Jul 13 10:36:02 PDT 2003

Jeremy Turner wrote:

>On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 04:40, ME wrote:
>

>>For Debian, /etc/modules
>>You specify what modules should be loaded. Args if any) appear after each
>>module name to be loaded. To see what ars are possible per module, check
>>kernel src docs per driver.
>>
>>When the driver is part of the kernel (not a module) you can use the
>>"append=" line in lilo.conf and rerun.
>>
>>For RedHat? not sure.
>>

>Debian separates the different functions of /etc/modules.conf in the
>/etc/modutils/ directory and /etc/modules file.  When you finish editing
>any of those files, you must run update-modules in order for a new
>/etc/modules.conf file to be regenerated.
>
>Last I checked, the other mainstream distros use /etc/modules.conf, or
>in one case /etc/conf.modules (I don't remeber which one that is).
>
>Last time I played with setting this, I didn't have good results.  You
>can also download programs which change the current speed, which worked
>better for me than setting kernel modules arguments.  The big thing I
>learned is you can find out the speed of an interface by doing a
>ifconfig and looking at the txqueuelen: for the device.
>
>Just my $.02.
>
>Jeremy
>
>Jeremy

Jeremy -

Maybe it is my "mental clock" that is off :-) ?!?  I was moving a
250,000,000 byte file to my Linux FTP server on a 100 base-T tcp/ip
network and it took ~40 minutes.  This seemed a long time, however if
this math is correct, then my "mental clock" was not correct:

250,000,000/100,000/60 = ~41 minutes.  Right?  Or am I missing a decimal
point or more?

Todd