[NBLUG/talk] Samba running slow...

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Tue Jul 15 09:22:00 PDT 2003

Sorry, I posted a response on your other thread regarding this issue and it
was overlooked.

What is your setting for socket options in smb.conf?

NOTE - it is a very good idea to make a backup of smb.conf BEFORE you use SWAT
to configure samba.

-------------------------------
my old post

I would look into tuning samba.  I also note in your previous post the
lack of a machine secret for the Domain.  If you have machines you are
allowing to join the domain you have to create a machine account on the
samba server.

The oplock setting looks like it is giving you trouble.  You might
consider turning it off.  Opportunistic file locking slows Samba considerably.

I have seen issues with this with head to head comparison with NT/XP on
file serving and certain teams leaving this bottleneck turn on just to
cripple the Linux/Samba solution. referenced from Linuxtoday a month or so
back.

Reference Using Samba online at O'Reilly.
or this one I just pulled up.

http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba/samba-optimize.html

--
Mark Street, D.C.