[NBLUG/talk] sa-learn system wide...

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Tue Jul 15 13:19:00 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 11:47:58AM -0700, Dustin Mollo wrote:
> i was wondering if anyone here has setup spamassassin, using spambayes and
> the sa-learn system wide for non-shell access users.  i've seen tips for how
> to do this using some public imap folders that folks can drop email into to
> help train spamassassin, but i haven't actually seen mention of anyone doing
> (just read faqs.)
>
> the other problem i see is that in our environment, we are running more than
> one spamassassin server at any given time and need the db's to be in sync
> across multiple platforms.
>
> any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've got this working now.  Well, just starting on it.  The folder and
fetchmail and sa-learn parts are all working; I just need to figure out the
best interface for the individual users.

In our setup, only one server does the fetchmail+sa-learn step; the DB files
are synchronized out from there.  (currently manually, but I'm still working
on things)  If I had a very reliable NFS server, I might look into them
using a shared mountpoint for this data...  Since there's a cronjob that
calls fetchmail, it wouldn't be at all difficult to switch that to a process
that synchronizes the DB files out after running fetchmail.  I gather that
BerkeleyDB is capable of replication, but that seems unnecessarily
complicated compared to just using rsync.

Do the spamassassin servers have NFS access to the IMAP folders?  Can you
just have each run its own sa-learn over the IMAP folder directories?
sa-learn is quite intelligent about skipping past things it's already seen,
so you might not have to clean/expire those folders very often.

Does "multiple platforms" mean some spamassassin servers are little-endian
and some are big-endian?
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Vice-President Pro Tempore