[NBLUG/talk] Samba running slow...

Ross Thomas spamb8r at netscape.net
Tue Jul 15 13:44:00 PDT 2003

Coy Thorp wrote:

> If duplex is mismatched, then you will see transfers in one direction behave
> normally, and transfers in another direction crawl.  A half duplex pipe pipe
> does not expect to receive data during it's csma/cd time, so it becomes, how
> you say, hosed. :)

Thanks Coy.  I do understand that in general something running at
half-duplex has problems keeping up with a full-duplex partner.

However, my question here was, how could the same pair of machines
with different duplex settings behave differently when data is
sent in the two directions?  Either way, the limiting factor is the
turn-around of the half-duplex device, irrespective of the ability
of the full-duplex device being able to wait for data even while
sending.  Logically, the same sequence and size of packets are being
sent in both cases, just in different directions.

Thoughts?

Ross.