[NBLUG/talk] CAT-5 and Ethernet question

Todd Cary todd at aristesoftware.com
Mon Jul 21 10:40:02 PDT 2003

As many of you know from my previous posts to this list, I was having
communication problems with Samba: very slow in one direction only.
After moving some cables around and re-seating all connections, the
problem apears to have gone away.  My question is about CAT-5
connections and 100 base-T.

Could the problem have been a "poor" connection with one of the pairs in
the CAT-5 wiring?  Could this explain "slow" communication in one direction?

Incidentally, the NIC is built into the motherboard.

I like to have in my mind a reasonable explanation for the problem and
the apparent fix.

Todd