[NBLUG/talk] "Sniffing the Internet"

Micxz (lovedialup.com) an_email at micxz.com
Tue Jul 29 10:21:01 PDT 2003

Todd Cary wrote:

> I am not that knowledgeable about the intracies of Internet protocols
> and security.  Has the NBLUG discussed the topic of how people are able
> to "sniff" what goes in and out of someones computer?  How the "bad
> guys" do their bad deeds?
>
> It would be a topic that would interest me - especially in light of the
> attention these days to security.
>
> Curious.....
>
> Todd
> --

I use a a program called "tcpdump" and visual one "ethereal".

But usually my firewall tells me if someone is trying to connect to my
box remotely from the net.

After you install tcpdump say you access the internet on eth0: try:

tcpdump -n -lnX -s 1500 -i eth0

Hit a website or wait for some traffic, you will see the packet send;
Hope this helps'

--
Micxz