[NBLUG/talk] Linux friendly Voice Modems

William L. Thomson Jr. support at obsidian-studios.com
Wed Jul 30 18:40:04 PDT 2003

I purchased a Actiontec 56k Internal PCI Call Waiting modem, and had no
problems getting it to work. The only thing I had to do on some older
machines was use setserial. Otherwise there were no drivers. It worked
right out of the box.

However I think in order for the call waiting feature to work you may
have to install a driver, some software or it may not be available in
Linux.  However the modem does have support for Linux, it's on the box
and said so on Actiontec's site when I was doing research on the modem.
The call waiting feature may be in the hardware, not a software feature?
I really have little experience with that feature. It was of not one of
the reasons why I purchased the modem.

I just needed a modem that I could use under Linux to do credit card
processing. Which now I do via Vitals Internet gateway.

The model on the box is
PCI56012-01CW

The sticker on the card says it's a PM560LKC

One day I would like to use it for a Linux answering machine. When I
have time. If that is your intention please let me know how it goes.

--
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.