[NBLUG/talk] Putting files on my web site

ME dugan at passwall.com
Fri Jun 6 15:40:02 PDT 2003

William L. Thomson Jr. said:
> On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 18:23, Rob Orsini wrote:
>> At 05:31 PM 6/6/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>> >I appears that using
>> >
>> >ssh://username@myserver.mydomain.com
>> >
>> >sort of works in Nautilus. Anyone know the syntax for the password?
>> >
>> >I can't seem to get past that point.
>>

>> Just a though:
>> sftp://username@myserver.mydomain.com
>
> No go. Nautilus does not recognize sftp. It gives a different error with
> ssh. With ssh it's password issue. With sftp it a not valid location
> issue?

Perhaps they saw the risks associated with exposure of a password ni
plaintext to a URL/URI, and have included a requirement to not allow it to
work unless you are using key/passphrase-based connections instead of
passwords. Also, ssh is more commonly accociated with a shell, and not a
copy (scp.) Does scp:// work for you? Hopw about generating keys and
exchanging them, and then run a key manager in your session to pre-auth
your future ssh connections to other boxes?

-ME