[NBLUG/talk] my laptop & wireless ethernet

Micxz (lovedialup.com) an_email at micxz.com
Sun Jun 8 14:25:01 PDT 2003

bm wrote:

> > So, I feel like I'm pushing it a little but as well as a successful install
> > of Mandrake on my laptop (which we've already discussed) I would LOVE for
> > my 802.11b-PCMCIA card to work.  I have a Netgear card but have heard
> > rumors that a Lucent flavored card has some support among some Linux vers.
> >
> > My first question: Has anyone had luck with wireless PCMCIA cards and
> > linux?  Secondly, what is so complicated about writing drivers for these
> > cards? I really am curious if it's really a difficult thing to do or just
> > low priority.
> >

> I just installed a wireless lan card (Orinoco 802.11b) in an HP Omnibook
> 3000 that had been using a wired lan card.  The OS is Red Hat 8.0.
> The Wireless card was recognized and worked without doing anything.
> The machine was configured to be a dhcp client on the wired eth0
> card.
>
> There was one warning that the alias for eth0 in /etc/modules.conf was
> not correct, so it used the correct module instead.  I added the alias
> for that module to /etc/modules.conf, even though it worked without it.
>
> I plan to go back and review what Wireless packages were installed and
> what can be gained by adding wireless utilities and configuring for
> wireless.
>
> Have you tried your Net Gear card?  Have you checked the hardware
> compatibility lists?
>
> Let us know how it goes.

My 802.11b setup is still not working as a client on my linux laptop,
I'm installed the src for my kernel and tried building the driver for
the device, and got past the last part when it asks for
"/usr/src/linux", but now the next question is were is the src for some
other package, I don't even recognize.
I guess I have to hit the books again, like almost everytime I make new
moves in linux;

My card is listed as compatable on most lists and there is a linux
driver available from the product website (lynksys WPC11). The provide
the file "linux-wlan-ng-0.1.14-pre1". But I already see wlan.conf on my
system, and have not been able to build or install this package. I wish
it just worked; But now I have to know why it's broken;

Damn;

--
Micxz