[NBLUG/talk] arghh! I HATE it when that happens..

ME dugan at passwall.com
Mon Jun 9 20:57:00 PDT 2003

Jim Bianchi said:

> 	I'm trying to install xine on my laptop (RH 8.0). So I finally get
> all the files it wants and untar one, su to root and run ./configure, and
> it tells me 'checking for gcc ..no. checking for cc .. no. error: no
> acceptable cc found.'
>
> 	What do I do now? I know, find, dload and install gcc. Well, what
> do you want to bet THAT'LL bomb because something ELSE is needed?
>
> 	Anyway, on disc 3 of the Rh 8.0 install CD set I used there is a
> file named 'gcc-objc-3.2-7.i386.rpm.' Is that what I want? My system is an
> i686. I'm really flying blind here, and need some help.

Generally speaking, older standards for processors will have code that
works with newer ones. (Intelx86 forward)

386 is like a baseline. Generally speaking, it means that that package
will work on a 386 or better.

Something that is not so safe:
Including i686 packages on a system that has libs and a kernel that were
set to be a 386 or 486.

Optimization can be added to compiler to take advantage of special
features in newer processors, but it is easier for vendors to provide a
limited number of core packages that are not optimized for each processor
but compatible with a majority.

When installing gcc on redhat, they had the gcc packages and another
package (kgcc for kernel compiles.) I am not sure if RedHat still does
this.

So, you should be safe in installing the "386" named packages on a 686
based system with a 686 based kernel. It is not ok to install 686 packages
onto a system that is not 686 and does not have a 686 kernel and does not
have support libs for 686.

HTH
-ME