[NBLUG/talk] Help: Newbie and proxy server running SBS2000

troy fryman at sonic.net
Wed Jun 11 18:18:00 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 06:06:27PM -0700, Jennifer Tracy wrote:
> Here is where I am at:
>
> I have DNS servers in place.  I get address resolution when I try to ping
> outside my network (i.e. yahoo.com) but the ping gets 100% failure.

what do you see when you use the traceroute command:
traceroute yahoo.com

This does not always provide useful info even when the network is setup properly.

> I can ping my linux box from my windows system and vice versa using the IP
> Address, which are in the 10.0.0.0 to 10.0.0.255 range with the subnet mask
> 255.255.255.0.
>
> My server is SBS 2000 with MS Proxy Server 2.0.
>
> I cannot get to the internet.  I have my proxy server for http set to
> 10.0.0.2 with port 8080.

Hmm.  Wonder if your proxy server is set to allow from certain addresses
only. Try:
telnet 10.0.0.2 8080

If you're allowed, you should see something like:
Connected to 10.0.0.2.
Escape character is '^]'

Otherwise you'll probably see a "Connection refused" message.

> The only other thing I can think of to try is to set my domain name to
> pinetreecomputers.com instead of pinetree.

That shouldn't matter.

-troy