[NBLUG/talk] Authentication against Active Directory

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Wed Jun 18 23:02:00 PDT 2003

I know someone told you to do this..... someone who knows nothing about what
it takes or how to do it....  Deep doo doo man...  See the new Samba 3.0 Beta
release notes.....  what you want is not quite ready for production ....
http://us2.samba.org/samba/whatsnew/samba-3.0.0beta1.html

On Wednesday 18 June 2003 19:39, Warren Raquel wrote:
> I have a few questions concerning RedHat and authentication. Now, first,
> is it possible to authenticate a login against a mixed-mode Active
> Directory, or even a native-mode AD?

RedHat stock auth can use NIS, LDAP, Kerberos, SMB... or regular local
password configuration.  see authconfig on your redhat boxen.

Remember what Andru L. wrote about the Halloween docs.  MS may break it at
anytime...

 > Also, I want to create a mail server that does virtual mail accounts
> corresponding to specified AD accounts. The accounts just need IMAP or
> POP access (either will do). Anyone have any tips on this? TIA.

Well, we can do that.....  Screw the AD accounts....

Mail Server with Virtual accounts.
qmail
Cyrus-imap
vqadmin, vpopmail..ezmlm, etc...
I think there is a kewl script that will do most of the downloading and
compiling for you....  You can tweak it...  lessee... here it is..
The qmail_lazydog.sh shell script.  Google it.  I installed this a couple of
weeks ago on a server and it actually works slick.....  Read through the
script tweak it and make sure it works for you.

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer