[NBLUG/talk] Debian

Steve srj at adnd.com
Wed Jun 25 19:52:01 PDT 2003

Hi, I got the debian install done, I guess it didnt detect
my network card, it never did ask me anything more then what my
hostname was going to be.  So I insmod'd my network card and setup my eth0
with ifconfig and also manualy added my default route.  Also had to
create a resolv.conf, So I can get out on the net =)

Where does debian keep this info so I won't have to initialize this stuff
by hand each time?  I know in RH its
/etc/sysconfig/net-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, I don't see this path on teh debian
install.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Steve

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 06:59:38PM -0700, Jeremy Turner wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 18:33, Steve wrote:
> > Is the kernel up to date in this distro? (still downloading...)
> > Also can you apt-get the latest kernel? or is it roll your own.. I have no
> > issues with rolling my own, been compiling linux kernels since 1994 or
> > so haha.
>
> The stable branch is more of a snapshot.  You won't see XFree86 4.3
> officially released for woody. You won't see Gnome 2.2 released for
> woody.  However, people have compiled their own working versions called
> backports so you can have a semi-stable system.
>
> > I know in RedHat you can use up2date to update your kernel,
> > I've never tried it, but I always found it to be a neat idea.
> >

> http://debianplanet.org has an article listed about compiling the kernel
> the debian way (TM).  It makes things a little simpler, or you can
> simply apt-get the latest stock kernel.  The latter has worked just fine
> for me.
>
> > Also switching to debian, am I going to find it lacking in areas?
> > RedHat has always seemed to come with the goodies.  I am assuming that
> > if I need/want something installed its as simple
> > as apt-get install proggyname and then maybe some configing.
>
> The weakness of Debian is often finding what I need.  In other words, I
> want to install X, but what is it called?  There is a util called
> apt-cache search <package_name>, but searching for 'x' will give a lot
> of packages.  There also is http://packages.debian.org,
> http://apt-get.org, and google.
>
> And yes, apt-get is *that* easy.  You'll get a couple dialog boxes for
> configuration questions, but nothing too bad.
>
> > How often does Debian update? Dec 16, 2002, thats 6 months ago =)
>
> Unstable and testing update every day.  There are new security patches
> almost weekly available to download (via apt-get).  Generally, tho, a
> newer major version of a package is not backported into a
> previously-released version.
>
> > Oh 1 more question, are there any Floppy setup disks for debian?  I have a
> > laptop with out a CDROM drive that I would love
> > to put linux on, I was going to use RedHat because its a 2 floppy disk
> > download and then the rest is done over the net.  Does debian
> > have something like this?
>
> Yep.  If you have a fairly standard NIC (3c95x, eepro100, etc) you can
> use two floppy disks to boot the install and grab everything else off
> mirrors.  It takes a little bit of searching to find the floppy images,
> but I can help you find them off-list if you'd like.
>
> Jeremy
>
> --
> Jeremy Turner <jeremy at linuxwebguy.com>
> The LinuxWebGuy

----
      "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment."
                                                   -- Lao-Tzu