[NBLUG/talk] Touch Screen

ME dugan at passwall.com
Wed Jun 25 21:10:03 PDT 2003

William L. Thomson Jr. said:
> Anyone have any experience with touch screens and Linux?
>
> I am trying to configure a
>
> CTX VL510 touch screen with no luck so far.
>
> On the back of the monitor it has another model # of
> CLQ1555A
>
> I have consulted google, and all I can find is the following.
> Which this same how to is on everyone's site.
>
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree86-Touch-Screen-HOWTO.html
>
> If worse comes to worse I can get and use a different touch screen, but
> would like to give this one my best shot.
>
> Any information is greatly appreciated.

I have never done this. I recall earlier models actually had extra cables
that connected to serial ports (or PS/2 mouse ports), but this was many
years ago. (Many, many.)

Looking at the spec sheet, it looks like things have changed. When you
start up X, does it log anything useful? (Anything about /dev/ttyS???
would be good.)

After making changes to the XFree86.conf file to include you new pointer
(making sure to make a backup) press control-alt-backspace to kill X and
your display manager should start up X again unless there is a problem in
the config file. (If so, you can always go back to your previous config
file and manually restart your window manager.)

Maybe someone else will have ideas on what pointers will work for you.

-ME