[NBLUG/talk] dselect strangeness

Andrew argonaut at softhome.net
Wed Jun 25 21:26:01 PDT 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 16:29:42 -0700
Robert Hayes <rhayes at silcom.com> wrote:

> Andrew:
>
> I'm running Testing. I installed it via Knoppix 3.2. It did not > come with Gnome at all.
>
> Just today I tried to install galeon -which I sorely miss- via
> apt-get -t unstable install galeon and was informed that 60
> packages would be installed, a cursory glance indicated that
> most would be related to the Gnome base install. But, it also
> said ~15 packages would be removed, a couple of which I want,  > so I nixed it.
>
> I'll be interested in knowing what you learn, so please post
> it.
>
> Bob
>
> On Tuesday 24 June 2003 03:51 pm, Andrew wrote:
> > On one of my boxes, I'm tracking (or at least *trying* to
> > track) Debian's Testing branch. When I went to update using
> > dselect today, it told me that it wanted to remove
> > gnome-applets, gnome-core, gnome-help, gnome-panel, and
> > gnome-panel-data. I hadn't asked for these or any other
> > packages to be removed and dselect didn't show any conflicts
> > related to these packages, so I'm wondering why dselect wants
> > to remove them.
[snip]

Well, I did a little reading in debian-testing and debian-user and discovered that my suspicions were correct: Gnome2 is being moved into Testing and gnome 1.4 is being pushed out. The most informative thread is here:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200306/msg03526.html

One of the replies is by one "Karsten M. Self", a name that sounds strangely familiar... Karsten, are you still on this list? You should have said something.

[tangent]
See Karsten's .sig for a humorous quote about the SCO situation. And see this:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200306/msg03430.html
for more SCO humor.
[/tangent]

I'm not too crazy about being a Gnome2 Guinea pig, so I think I'll put a hold on my Gnome 1.4 related packages and wait. Besides, I saw some people on debian-user complaining about reduced functionality and configurability in Gnome2.

On the plus side, as I dug around (you can easily spend hours in those archives, learning from others' problems), I found out why I've been having that perlmagick dependency problem ever since I moved to Testing (perl 5.8 is in Testing, but perlmagick is still at 5.6).

A.