[NBLUG/talk] xminicom

Jim Bianchi jimbo at sonic.net
Sun Jun 29 13:46:00 PDT 2003

	xminicom won't run when invoked by a user. It WILL run (and
connect) when invoked by root. I've had this problem before, but never
really solved it -- it never seemed a biggie since I so seldom used
minicom or xminicom. Now, I'd really like to be able to use it as a user
(as opposed to suing to root). The system is RH 8.0 on my Dell laptop. It
says something about 'Device /dev/ttyS4 access failed: Permission denied.'

	/dev/modem is symlinked to /dev/ttyS4 and seems to be the correct
device for such use. Both these files are world everythingable. minicom
(no x), comes up and gives me the 'Device..' line (as above). xminicom
opens a window long enough to print that line (but not read it), and then
shuts down.

	Any hints on where to check and what to do in order to get this to
work?

--
jimbo at sonic.net       Jim Bianchi   Santa Rosa   California

        Eclectic Garbanzo BBS ** (707) 539-1279 ** 28.8kbps

	Remember Flight 93 -- "Let's roll!"