[NBLUG/talk] [nbs@sonic.net: [vox-announce] Linux Demo in Dav is, March 15th, 2003]

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Mar 3 12:39:00 PST 2003

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 12:05:34PM -0800, Christopher Wagner wrote:
<snip>

> I'm curious, if we decided to do a demonstration, what features would we
> demo?

We have it up and running various things... Gimp, OpenOffice, XMMS.
If people are interested, we can play with Apache/PHP.

We recently rsync'd our LUGOD.org website onto it, so we can show it as
a live mirror.  (Unfortunately, there's no network where we demo :^( )

> Would we demo it more as a desktop operating system or a server
> operating system?

I haven't exactly kept a tally, but we get a pretty good combination of
questions about both uses.

> Would we spend time on both?  They're doing an
> unstructured environment, that's probably a good idea, but should we provide
> some structured demonstration as well?

The Davis Food Co-Op has a conference room where I've thought it'd be cool
to do some structured talks or classes, but there hasn't been much interest
so far.  (Too much of our audience are just people who wander by while
shopping, and then ask questions.  We DO get people who show up specifically
for the demo, but they often know enough about Linux to not warrant a 'talk'
on it. :^) )

For 'structured' stuff, my thought has been to keep it very simple.
"What _is_ Linux?" and "What is Open Source and why should you,
Joe and Jane Random Shopper, care?" :^)

One nice thing about a Co-Op store is the people who shop there don't
typically have much love for Microsoft, to begin with. :^)

I thought the signs in this photo were pretty on-topic for such a
green-oriented store ;^)

  http://www.lugod.org/photos/2000.07.22/coop-2000.07.22.jpg

-bill!

--