[NBLUG/talk] CD-Burning Frontends

Andru Luvisi luvisi at andru.sonoma.edu
Fri Mar 7 10:10:03 PST 2003

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Eric Eisenhart wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 09:43:04AM -0800, Warren Raquel wrote:
> > So, what are people's favorites? I'm talkin more than just music CDs.
> > File backups, etc...
>
> Personally, I tend to favor "mkisofs -J -r <dirname> | cdrecord fs=6m -v
> -eject -".
>
> Or, for more fun:
> "mkisofs -J -r <dirname> | cdrecord fs=6m -v -eject -multi -"
> with, later sometime, this:
> "mkisofs -J -r -C `cdrecord -msinfo` -M /dev/cdrom <dirname> | cdrecord fs=6m -v -eject -multi -"

I prefer to make a disk image and then burn it:

  1. I'm superstitious.  I think it's bad luck to have your computer
     doing anything more than it needs to be doing while you are
     burning.  This is not as much of an issue now as it was when I
     cut my first CD and was always afraid of making a "coaster".
     Now the computers are faster and CD blanks are cheaper.

  2. I like being able to do a loopback mount before I burn to make
     certain mkisofs did *exactly* what I wanted it to.

  3. I like being able to:
       cmp blah.iso <(dd if=/dev/sr0)
     to make certain that everything got burned correctly.

Andru
--
Andru Luvisi, Programmer/Analyst

Quote Of The Moment:
  ( Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound. )