[NBLUG/talk] Can't get online w/new RH8 Install

greenfly at greenfly.net greenfly at greenfly.net
Mon Mar 10 11:50:03 PST 2003

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 07:17:09AM -0700, Dave Sisley wrote:
> I have configured a
> connection and can get it to dial out to my ISP and log in through
> both the 'neat' GUI and wvdial.  But if I bring up mozilla or try
> tp ssh into an outside server, nothing happens.  Any ideas?

Run /sbin/ifconfig ppp0 and see what, if anything, comes up.  This should tell
you your IP address, as well as what the IP address of the machine you are
connecting to is.

Here's a temporary solution to get that machine at least up and on the net.

First you should add the IP addresses your ISP gave you for nameservers in your
/etc/resolv.conf file like such:

nameserver 12.34.56.78
nameserver 12.34.56.90

Obviously putting in the IP addresses you were given by them.  Afterwards, you
need to set up the routing table for ppp0.  (Honestly, the GUI config and wvdial
should be doing this automatically.)  In the case where your IP is 10.10.10.10,
and you are connected to 10.10.10.1 (again you will find these values by running
/sbin/ifconfig ppp0), here is what your route command would be:

route add -net 10.10.10.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev ppp0
route add default gw 10.10.10.1

That should set up your default route so you should at least be able to get onto
the internet.  My suspicion, however is that whatever programs you are using
aren't fully connecting and logging on to your ISP (otherwise they would finish
the process which is setting up your default route).

Kyle