[NBLUG/talk] Can't get online w/new RH8 Install

ME dugan at passwall.com
Mon Mar 10 13:13:01 PST 2003

There are some GUI tools for configuring PPP withing RedHat. I dont use
RedHat, so I wont be able to give you details on what to check.

However, it sounds like your modem is connecting, but there is no PPP link
established.

Try looking over your log files for something meaningful.

Example:
# grep -i "ppp" /var/log/messages /var/log/ppp* /var/log/daemon \
    /var/log/syslog |less

For more debugging information why your ppp connection is not working, you
can try to modify (use an editor to look at):
/etc/ppp/options
look for a line like "debug" and change it from
#debug
to instead read:
debug

and save it. The next time you try to connect via ppp, you should get more
information logged to your log files about what went wrong, or what was
done/not done.

If your ppp connection is being established, right after you think you are
"connected" run this a few times:
# ifconfig
If you see information about a ppp interface, then that likely means ppp
was started. If after doing that, you do see a ppp , you do this:
# route -N
and you do not see anything beyond loopback (127.0.0.1) then it is likely
that there is something imporperly setup in your ppp/dialup connection.

-ME