[NBLUG/talk] Can't get online w/new RH8 Install

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Tue Mar 11 14:47:01 PST 2003

Everything looks fine to me......  When you UPgraded (Watch Out!!) did you
enable a firewall?????

from the command line as root run the following 2 commands;
service iptables stop
service ipchains stop

Now bring up your ppp0 connection using neat or whatever it is you are using.

now try to ping yahoo.com or some such....because you never know.....

I run RH 8 on a Stinkpad 770 and a Compaq 1800 with a Lucent WinModem.  Both
the Red Hat GUI tool and the KPPP tool work on my Compaq machine.  I just
tested them...even though I never use dialup... so Sue Bennet's advice seems
to be the best overview for the newbie I have seen for your situation.

Of course none of this advice will help if you have a firewall up......

neat or redhat-network-config stores its configuration files in
/etc/sysconfig/network/ you will note a hosts file and a resolv.conf file in
the directories found there.

I hope to be there tonight if you need a bit more......

> Thanks for taking a swing at this.  I hope to be at the meeting
> tonight -- I wouldn't mind chatting face to face!  I don't know
> anybody at the meetings by name yet; I've only been to 2 meetings
> so far.  Identifying characteristics:  Long hair, glasses, tainted
> aura of someone forced to use windows to access the web because of
> faulty RH8 upgrade.

Don't blame it on the upgrade...... and don't threaten to use Windoze.  You
could lose a finger for using that word at meetings.... ; )

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer