[NBLUG/talk] Can't get online w/new RH8 Install

Dave Sisley dsisley at mail.arczip.com
Tue Mar 11 17:13:00 PST 2003

From: Mark Street <jet at sonic.net>
Date:  Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:57:36 -0800

>Everything looks fine to me......  When you UPgraded (Watch
Out!!) did you
>enable a firewall?????
>
>from the command line as root run the following 2 commands;
>service iptables stop
>service ipchains stop
>
>Now bring up your ppp0 connection using neat or whatever it is
you are using.

>now try to ping yahoo.com or some such....because you never know.....
>
>I run RH 8 on a Stinkpad 770 and a Compaq 1800 with a Lucent
WinModem.  Both
>the Red Hat GUI tool and the KPPP tool work on my Compaq machine.
 I just
>tested them...even though I never use dialup... so Sue Bennet's
advice seems
>to be the best overview for the newbie I have seen for your
situation.

>Of course none of this advice will help if you have a firewall
up......

>neat or redhat-network-config stores its configuration files in
>/etc/sysconfig/network/ you will note a hosts file and a
resolv.conf file in
>the directories found there.
>
>I hope to be there tonight if you need a bit more......
>
>> Thanks for taking a swing at this.  I hope to be at the meeting
>> tonight -- I wouldn't mind chatting face to face!  I don't know
>> anybody at the meetings by name yet; I've only been to 2 meetings
>> so far.  Identifying characteristics:  Long hair, glasses, tainted
>> aura of someone forced to use windows to access the web because of
>> faulty RH8 upgrade.
>
>Don't blame it on the upgrade...... and don't threaten to use
Windoze.  You
>could lose a finger for using that word at meetings.... ; )
>
>--
>Mark Street, D.C.
>Red Hat Certified Engineer
>Cert# 807302251406074
>--
>Key fingerprint = 3949 39E4 6317 7C3C 023E  2B1F 6FB3 06E7 D109 56C0
>GPG key http://www.streetchiro.com/pubkey.asc

Hey:
Thanks for the further input, everybody.  I think I have narrowed
this down to a DNS problem.  Pinging as Kyle suggested works until
#3, sonic.net.  On a whim, I decided to plug in the numeric
address of  a website I manage, and wouldn't you know it, mozilla
brought it up, no problem.

As for Mark's suggestions, I had thought about a possible firewall
issue.  I don't know anything about firewalls, and hadn't put one
in on purpose, but I thought maybe I did it by accident, and ran
Lokkit to remove any firewall. I have no idea if that really
worked, though.  I'm embarrassed to say, Mark, that I don't
understand the iptable and ipchain commands you posted.  What am I
supposed to put in place of 'service'?  The full name of my ISP
(arczip.com)?
Please advise if you have time, otherwise maybe we can chat at the
meeting.  I will lug the laptop and bring my optimism along.

In the mean time, I am going to double check the DNS addresses on
my ISP's site and plug them in one more time.

-Dave.