[NBLUG/talk] I'm so embarrassed...

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Fri Mar 14 20:48:00 PST 2003

It turns out that Mark had the answer all along:

Mark Street wrote:

> Then in redhat-config-network or neat... or whatever they call it.  Edit your
> definition for ppp0.  You really need to check the box "Automatically DNS
> information from provider".  This option is equivalent to a PEERDNS=YES
> option in your /etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0  script.....
>
> Those GUI tools are sometimes the only way... unfortunately they don't help
> one learn very easily.
>
> As far as my service commands........ you were to run them just as I typed
> them.   service is a command that can control different services you run on
> your machine, check out service --help
>
> # service iptables stop
>
> from a

***Bing!Bing!Bing!*** root shell ***Bing!Bing!Bing!***

> would turn off your firewall.  I just wanted to see if we
> could get you out.

I need to work on my reading comprehension.

Mark, You had the right answer -- I didn't read it closely enough.  I
tried your suggestion, but not as root.  Running as my usual self,
nothing seemed to happen, but since nothing often seems to happen in
linux, I thought that was ok.

Needless to say, I'm pretty embarrased, (but relieved)!  I hope I wasn't
too whiny.

As one last pesty question, does that command need to be entered each
time I log in? or will it be a 'permanent' fix (until I do something
else wrong...)?

Thanks again for everybody's help.

-- dave.